Hi Everyone! I hope you had a fun weekend. We are enjoying a very mild summer here in Seattle which I am thankful for as I know much of the country is in the midst of a heat wave. Today I’m sharing a cool summer treat that I tweaked to make a bit healthier than the traditional version ~ Cherry a la mode. Sometimes when we try to alter recipes for the purpose of making it “healthier” the taste just doesn’t compare and we are left not feeling satisfied. This recipe is made with Hemp Milk, Coconut Bliss, and Tru Whip ~ all of which are dairy free plant based products. If you haven’t heard of Hemp Milk .. here is the scoop:
- Provides 50% of the RDA of calcium; excellent source of vitamins D, B 12 and riboflavin
- Contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and 10 essential amino acids (protein building blocks)
- Sweetened with brown rice syrup and flavored with natural vanilla (you can purchase the unsweetened version if you’d like)
TruWhip is a delicious substitute for traditional whip cream and I am not kidding when I say you will want to just eat it straight out of the container! If you haven’t tried the coconut ice cream .. oh my goodness! My favorite are the chocolate varieties but for this recipe I am using vanilla.
It’s cherry season and when we were in Eastern WA last week we found the biggest cherries at a roadside fruit stand. Cherries provide us with a unique set of antioxidants which give them their red-almost black color. This compound helps us fight inflammation and serious conditions such as gout, arthritis, and muscle-related injuries. Cherries also contain melatonin, which can have a calming effect on brain and the nervous system, and might even help to establish regular sleep patterns.
It’s important to note that just because this is a healthier version it still contains calories. Here are a few key areas that I believe are important for optimal health:
- Eat seasonally and a wide variety of fruits and vegetables of all colors ~ lots of color means lots of nutrients!
- Choose carefully ~ subtract processed foods and replace with whole foods that you prepare.
- Think of meat as a condiment rather than the main course to your meal. One serving of meat, chicken, or fish is about the size of the palm of your hand. Fill up on vegetables and grains instead of the extra serving of meat.
- Treat desserts as such and share when you go out.
- Walk, run, dance, and play when possible:)
Cherry a la Mode
1 pint of ice cream (coconut bliss)
1/3 to 1/2 cup frozen cherries
Milk (hemp milk)
Whip Cream (truwhip)
Cherries for garnish
Remove ice cream and Truwhip from freezer to soften. Add the ice cream to your mixer and add enough hemp milk to blend. Use the vanilla sweetened hemp milk if you are new to the product. If you like it, try the unsweetened next time. I added about a 1/2 cup tart frozen cherries and then blended everything up. Pour into mason jars and add a dollop of coconut truwhip. Top with a cherry!
The Nordstrom Sale is in full swing! Click here to see a few of my BEAUTY picks!