The gray sky and constant rain is a given here, however this year it’s particularly bad and I’m feeling the blues and need to get somewhere warm and sunny.
A little chocolate helps ;)
This moist, chocolate cake is packed full of heart healthy olive oil and antioxidant rich cocoa powder.
Okay …. this plate is so cute, right? the coconut whip is melting because the cake is still warm;)
So today we are talk-in chocolate .. dark chocolate.
Come on ~ let’s bake.
.. this top has been on repeat ~ (and its on sale!)
I don’t believe in diets that limit you to certain food groups. It’s too tough to maintain strict dietary measures. No sugar, no dairy, go plant based, cauliflower pizza crust.. kale salad, kale smoothie, kale and quinoa. Sometimes I just need to take a break.
What works for me is to be watchful most of the time and then allow myself to eat whatever I want some of the time. I don’t want to be that person that needs to ask for a special order when I’m out with friends .. dressing on the side, can you make mine without sauce.. dry and can I substitute kale for the potato?
So back to chocolate goodness:) Treats are okay .. just don’t over do it.
I’ve made this cake several times and it’s a hit every time so I’m sharing my recipe. This moist, decadent cake is definitely worth trying and go ahead and enjoy a slice or two:) It’s a cross between something kinda sinful and something packed with all the stuff that’s good for you. Olive oil, cocoa powder, and I add 1/4 cup Hemp seeds to boost the nutritional value.
Go for the dark chocolate and don’t feel guilty;) ..just a little is okay. The coconut whip is so yummy and if you read the label you’ll be surprised!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (you can also use almond flour for a denser cake)
- ½ c. cocoa
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. sugar
- ½ c. almond milk, hemp, or buttermilk
- 2/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 c. honey
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. vanilla (try using 1/2 almond extract)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
Top with unsweetened coconut flakes and a dollop of Coconut Whip (I buy mine at Whole Foods Market).
- Preheat the oven to 325F
- Spray or grease and flour (my preference) a 9″ baking dish. A few months ago I purchased an Emile Henry Dish and love it! The baking is consistent unlike some of the tin or nonstick pans.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk your milk of choice, olive oil, eggs, honey, vanilla and almond extract until well combined.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients together and stir until well combined.
- Use your spatula to pour the batter into the prepared pan and then sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out (almost) clean;) This cake is best when it’s really moist so careful not to over bake it.
- Cool for 10 -15 minutes and then carefully invert.
Serve with ice cream or coconut whip topping ( I get mine at Whole Foods in the frozen section;) plus extra chocolate chips, and coconut flakes if you’d like!
Shop the post!