Growing up in Southern California, yummy tacos, enchiladas, and tamales are available everywhere and so delicious. Here in Seattle we enjoy an abundance of fresh seafood and sustainable, organic produce .. but no hot tamales or tacos that can satisfy this CA girl’s taste for good Mexican food. So .. I’ve come up with a few of my favorites that I make when I get those cravings.
With Cinco de Mayo coming up I thought it would be fun to share my Guacamole recipe!
THE ULTIMATE GUACAMOLE
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 or 1 small jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 avocados ~ cut and sliced
- 3 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lime juice
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 c diced tomato
- 3 tablespoons of queso fresco (feta also tastes good!)
- Combine onion, garlic, jalapeno, and 1/2 the cilantro into a small bowl or mortar. Be careful not to touch your face after you’ve been chopping jalapeno! Use a spoon or pestle to combine the ingredients.
- Use a spoon to scoop out and mash your avocado and then add to the ingredients above.
- Add a dash cayenne pepper and kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Squeeze lime juice over your guacamole mixture and gentle stir.
- Fold in tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with queso fresco and start dipping!
Cinco de Mayo ~